Emmanuel Arthur’s Senior Project:
On February 18, my senior project begins. This is what Carl Beehler, my sponsor, wrote to Steve Compton. Honestly, I am excited that I get to utilize some of the knowledge I have acquired in Computer Science class, and this will probably give me a sense of whether I want to work in the field of programming as my future career.
Description: Implement online publishing platform for Brown and White
Sponsor: Carl Beehler/Tech Office
Phase 1 (Dec-Jan):
- Take self-study course “An introduction to open source” (provided by Tech Office)
- Read additional provided materials on Apache web server
- Do quick write-up explaining interactions between components of the LAMP platform (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP)
Phase 2 (Jan-March):
- Evaluate open source web publishing platforms on site http://php.opensourcecms.com/.
- Try out demos for 5 platforms including Joomla and Drupal with news article publishing in mind.
- Present short paper on which platform seems best for Brown and White use.
Phase 3 (Project/Break)
- Install and configure Content Management System on web server
- Set up templates, etc. for Brown and White publishing
- Create basic ‘how-to’ guide for Brown and White staff
Much of the above is self-study and/or self guided. Assistance will be provided as needed by Carl or his staff if questions arise.
Some of the resources required to do such a project are relatively complicated and can’t be completely learned in the time available. This will lead to a slight disconnect between the conceptual and practical parts of this project.
Resources such as the web server will be preconfigured for use in the project with an eye towards having the project approved as a production service on campus.