Emmanuel Arthur’s Senior Project:
On February 18, my senior project begins. This is what Carl Beehler, my sponsor, wrote to Steve Compton. Honestly, I am excited that I get to utilize some of the knowledge I have acquired in Computer Science class, and this will probably give me a sense of whether I want to work in the field of programming as my future career.
- Take self-study course “An introduction to open source” (provided by Tech Office)
- Read additional provided materials on Apache web server
- Do quick write-up explaining interactions between components of the LAMP platform (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP)
- Evaluate open source web publishing platforms on site http://php.opensourcecms.com/.
- Try out demos for 5 platforms including Joomla and Drupal with news article publishing in mind.
- Present short paper on which platform seems best for Brown and White use.
- Install and configure Content Management System on web server
- Set up templates, etc. for Brown and White publishing
- Create basic ‘how-to’ guide for Brown and White staff