February 28th, 2018
“Why Paris? Paris needs no reason. Paris is its own reason.”—Maureen Johnson
Hi everyone! My name is Summer, a member of the Class of 2018. This is my fourth year at Westtown and I’ve been taking French courses since Freshman year. For my senior project, I chose to go to Paris to further my knowledge of French culture and language. I’ll be staying with a local host family and studying with Alliance Française for three weeks, March 4th to 24th. I chose to go to Paris for its many historical sites, museums, palaces and parks and for its unique lifestyle and gastronomy. I’m really excited about taking classes with Alliance Française because I will be studying in the Latin Quartier where the oldest university in France, Sorbonne, is located. Also, I want to step out of my comfort zone and test out my French skills I’ve been working on in class for the last four years.
Collège de Sorbonne
More specifically, I plan to do these things while I’m on my senior trip:
- Make an effort to talk to my host family and Parisians I meet in French to learn more about their daily lives
- Take classes with Alliance Française in the morning to further my knowledge of the French language
- Visit historical sites and museums in my free time in the afternoon
- Try as many traditional (and good) French food and Parisian food as I can
Go see a play in the Comedié FrançaiseComedié Française
- Take weekend day trips to visit Versailles, Fontainbleau, Château de Chambord
- Make use of the TGV, metro, bus and other public transports in Paris as often as possible
- Do a cruise on the Seine
- Visit the markets, boutiques, bookstores in Paris (Shakespeare and Company)
- Spend an afternoon in a Parisian cafe.
I’ll add more to this list once I’m in Paris. See you in a few days!