Today marked the third day of our build. I can honestly say that we have accomplished a lot. We put our subfloor over two layers of insulation and broke down dozens of pallets to repurpose for the exterior and interior of the house. We have slowly broken into different groups and really gotten into the grove of working together.
In the picture above, you can see the three groups that we worked in today. The top group worked on installing the subfloor of the house, the middle group worked on breaking apart the pallets and the bottom group (my group) worked on planing the wood from the pallets so that they can be used in the house. Later in the day, we broke into three different groups, interior, exterior and wood dying. The interior group met in the Design and Engineering Lab to discuss different materials we will need to fully furnish the inside of the house so people can actually live in it. The exterior group worked with an adult on brainstorming how to build the first wall, but then it started to rain and we had to cover the house up with a tarpL. The last group, the dye group, made dyes with natural ingredients such as coffee grounds and beets that they then used to paint the wooden planks. Watching this happen brought me so much joy because they were painting the planks that my group planed that we got from the group who was breaking up the pallets. The amount of teamwork that goes into a project like this is just incredible and I am so lucky that I get to spend another 8 days with this group!
Everyone has been taking turns filming and taking pictures to make sure that we document our progress. We are also making a time lapse video of our entire project so we can show people how we actually built the house. I have way too many pictures to post, but I will be sure to share them with everyone at the end of the project.